Donbalon has a four-tailed blue jester hat with red bells, with a pink jewel on his forehead, purple glowing eyes, under which is scar-themed makeup. He also has a red nose and purple skin with thick, grinning lips. There are feathers and a Jacobean ruff around his neck, with his ensemble ending in a waistcoat. His arms are very long and thin wires, ending with white gloves and long, thin, spiky fingers. He has a very spherical body almost like a balloon (similar to Puffy) with patchwork.
Donbalon is shown to find fun and enjoyment in everything, not just in attacking NiGHTS and Will, but also in being attacked, as Donbalon always laughs when NiGHTS throws him around. Donbalon even laughs when he is thrown into the spiked ceilling which pops him up.
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
Donbalon is Pure Valley's boss and a Will Nightmaren, who'll first attack after NiGHTS destroying all of the NiGHTS captures in the level. He later returns to a second and final fight after beating all of the Pure Valley's missions. His boss theme is called "Drifting Donbalon".
Donbalon does not take damage from any of NiGHTS attacks, so to defeat him the player must grab and throw him throughout a vertical circus-themed pinball arena until they reach the top of it, where there will be a spiked ceilling which will pop Donbalon up.
Upon flying up to Donbalon, NiGHTS will automatically grab and start spinning him. The player shall aim and shoot him forward. Sometimes, it'll be necessary to break obstacles to proceed. Donbalon may try to protect himself by spinning and flying down.
Donbalon has ball physics, so everytime the player throws him, he will bounce around. When he is doing this, he may hit and damage NiGHTS.
The only difference between the first and the second battle, is that in the second one, the pinball arena is much bigger and has more obstacles.
After the second fight, Donbalon is last seen in a cutscene after the fight, where Wizeman crushes him with his methalic hand as a punishment for failing at stopping NiGHTS.
Donbalon's lair is a circus-themed pinball-like tower. It consists of several areas separated by stylish barriers and has a monstrous face with long, spiked teeth at the top. The lair runs vertical, and there are many different obstacles scattered around.
- NiGHTS Dream Wheel: Donbalon makes a small appearance in the NiGHTS-themed slot machine, NiGHTS Dream Wheel, in the game's skill bonus mode.
Descriptions and Profiles
English Bio (Journey of Dreams)
"Donbalon looks like he could stand to go on a diet or three, but for all his girth, he's actually very light on his feet. So light, in fact, that he bounces like a balloon. He's fast too, and he hits you with a spinning slap if you get too close. However, Donbalon is extremely vulnerable to Touch-dashes, which send him flying helplessly. Bounce Donbalon all the way to the top of his stage at the end of Pure Valley, and you'll never have to worry about the sinister sphere ever again "
- Donbalon is very similar to Puffy from NiGHTS into Dreams, not only because of his sphere-like shape, but also because his battle is nearly identical to her's.
- One thing Donbalon differs from Puffy is that his fight happens in a vertical battle arena instead of a horizontal one.
- Donbalon is one of the three bosses in the series whose boss battle themes have voices speaking in an unknown language in the background. The other two are Jackle and Puffy.
- Donbalon is most noted for his strange high-pitched laughter.
- In his second fight intro, Donbalon breaks the fourth wall by waving to the player.
- That makes Donbalon one of the two NiGHTS characters to ever break the fourth wall, the other being Queen Bella.
- Donbalon is one of the two Nightmarens to be shown getting punished on screen, the other being Bomamba.
- In Spanish, "Don Balon" means "Sir Ball".