Gaos are round yellow lion-like Nightmarens with blue eyes, red nose, two long fangs and two red spikes behind their eyes. They have a white mane and two lighting shaped red antennas.
NiGHTS into Dreams
Gaos can be found in Soft Museum, Frozen Bell and Stick Canyon. Two Gaos appear right at the beginning of Frozen Bell and Stick Canyon and steal two of Elliot's ideyas once he enters in those Nightopias.
Once the visitors dualize with NiGHTS, the Gaos throughout the levels will run away from NiGHTS and occasionally stop to release electric charges which will hurt NiGHTS and make them lose five seconds.
Defeating a Gao will add 200 points for the player's score.
The Gao Mepians have a yellow lion face similar to Gao's, though with much smaller fangs and a spiky white mane. Their torso, arms and legs are completely yellow and they have three small pointy claws in their hands and feet. The torso also comes with pointy white wings with a dark blue stripe.
A Gao Mepian egg is mostly yellow with a white bottom.
- Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams: Gao's render appears in the concept art.
- NiGHTS Archie Comics: A Gao makes two brief appearances. First in the first issue, chasing NiGHTS after the latter escaping with the red ideyas and later in the second issue, attacking Snuze along with other Nightmarens.
- Sonic Pinball Party: Gaos appear in the Frozen Bell table as enemies. Defeating a Gao adds 200 points to the score.
- Gaos were replaced by Eelons in Journey of Dreams.
- Gaos are the only enemies in NiGHTS into Dreams who run away from NiGHTS rather than fly into them or try to get on their way.
- Gao is one of the two third level Nightmarens from NiGHTS into Dreams who didn't appear in the NiGHTS Storybook, the other is Pole.