The Nightmare Zone is a DLC level in the Deadly Six Edition of the game Sonic Lost World that is themed around the NiGHTS series and features the Deadly Six trying to fight off Sonic the Hedgehog using bosses from NiGHTS Into Dreams.
The entrance to this stage is a dream cloud showing NiGHTS flying by the Bellbridge clock tower from NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. After the level is selected, Sonic lies down on the grass in the overworld and falls asleep, thus starting off the level.
It starts off with Sonic running through a straight path in Windy Hill and through some Blue Chips and Rings with some spikes on the underside, only to have Reala appear alongside him and Wizeman at the end of the path, turning all of the colors in the main level black and white including Sonic and Reala.
After jumping onto a few springs, Reala creates a paraloop and sucks Sonic into it, transporting him into Nightmare where he starts the boss rush, encountering 3 members of the Deadly Six.
The first being Zazz riding Puffy, who will fly back and foward, dropping jewels trying to hurt Sonic. To defeat them, Sonic has to jump under Puffy six times. Sonic will then, find himself into a free fall with a Wizeman hand down below. Once Sonic lands on it, Zomom will appear and will make the hand goes down with a jump. Sonic will be on a free fall again and he will need to land on the hand one more time to defeat Zomom. However this time, the hand will be shooting blue orbs at Sonic. Finally, Sonic will fight Master Zik riding Gulpo. The duo will chase Sonic and occasionally stop to shoot spike balls all over the area. Sonic will need to make them fall into a role to win.
After the first boss section, Sonic will return to the regular level for a while and through more Blue Chips and Rings before shortly being sent to Nightmare again by Reala, where he will have to fight against the remaining Deadly Six.
The boss rush starts with Zeena riding Clawz. The duo will stand over a mice firework, and will teleport to another one if Sonic tries to hit them. To win the fight, Sonic will need to destroy all of the fireworks. However, Sonic will need to do that fast, otherwise Clawz will create a new trail of fireworks. Once Zeena and Clawz are launched with the last firework, Sonic will fight Zor riding Jackle, who will shoot cards at Sonic and the latter will need to shoot them back at Jackle three times to win. If the card hits the ground, it will explode and make a blue energy, which will run across the platform and hurt Sonic. Lastly, Sonic will fight Zavok riding Gillwing, who'll run around the arena shooting fire ball. To defeat them, Sonic will need to attack a red orb on Gillwing's tail.
After defeating the Nightmarens, Sonic is sent back to the regular level again, with the color returning as NiGHTS performs another paraloop and traps Reala in it. After Sonic flies through a few more Rings and bounces onto some more springs, he frees the Nightopians trapped in a NiGHTS Capture and the level ends.
After the level completion, the dream cloud disappears, and Sonic wakes up in the overworld, rewarding the player wih a Black Wisp. The level does not appear again until the player scores another 100,000 points.
- This is the only DLC in Sonic Lost World that returned to the PC/Steam release. The obvious reason for that is because this is the only DLC which isn't based on a Nintendo property.
- This zone marks the second time Sonic fights against the NiGHTS' bosses, the first being in Sonic Pinball Party.
- Unlike in Sonic Lost World, all of the bosses from NiGHTS into Dreams were fought in Sonic Pinball Party, including Reala and Wizeman (not just his hand), who despite making a cameo in the zone, didn't fight Sonic.
- It is rather ironic how Gillwing is the last boss of the zone and the one who takes the longest to defeat, as he is the first and fastest boss to defeat in NiGHTS into Dreams.
- It is also ironic how Wizeman's hand is one of the first bosses of the zone, considering that he is the God of Nightmare and main antagonist of the series.
- The level's design was most likely inspired by the Reala's battle arena from NiGHTS into Dreams.
- Some towers in the background and platforms also look similar to the ones found in the Queen Bella's battle arena from Journey of Dreams.
- Clawz battle strategy is almost identical to his NiGHTS into Dreams one.
- The red orb at the end of Gillwing's tail looks very similar to the red ideya.
- The Nightmare Zone appeared in the Sonic Lost World TV commercial.