|“||I'll deliver your heads to Master Wizeman myself!||„|
|~ Reala, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.|
- 1 Information
- 2 NiGHTS into Dreams
- 3 Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams
- 4 NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
- 5 NiGHTS: Flying Through the Sky Without Wings
- 6 NiGHTS Archie Comics
- 7 Other Appearances
- 8 Relationships
- 9 Descriptions and Profiles
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Audio
- 12 Trivia
- 13 References
Reala was created along with NiGHTS by Wizeman the Wicked. Both were supposed to be Wizeman's strongest creations as well as his right hand men.
In the cutscene prior Memory Forest's first mission in Journey of Dreams, Reala says "You can cut the act now, my dear sibling" to NiGHTS when he appears, which means NiGHTS and Reala consider each other siblings.
Reala was always very obedient and loyal to his creator, NiGHTS on the other hand, wasn't, and eventually, NiGHTS decided rebel against the nightmarens. Since then, Reala became responsible for capturing and imprisoning NiGHTS for his master. Much like Wizeman, Reala tries to turn NiGHTS to the nightmarens side again.
Reala and NiGHTS are rivals, with both being equal in flying and acrobatics. In contrast to NiGHTS' kind and playful personality, Reala is cruel and insidious.
Reala's signature colors are red and black. In the original Saturn game, Reala had a purple ruffled collar, yellow claw-like talons for fingers and a vest that appears to be open with a diamond patterned chest. He also has a red and black-striped jester's hat that is, presumably, a part of his body and not, in fact, a hat.
Reala was redesigned for NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams; sporting a mask called a Persona, a symbol of loyalty to Wizeman. It is gold with a pink jewel in the center with black feathers on the edges. His vest is closed over his chest and has a flame/swirl pattern. He wears red arm guards and hip-plates, which both have a flame-like design on them and gold trim. He also wears dark brown fingerless gloves and dark brown bandages on his wrists. As in the original game, his signature colors are red and black. His boots are mostly dark red, with some bright red flame patterns and a single bright red stripe interspaced in the middle of the boots. Although he keeps his red jester's hat from the original game, it now has dark red stripes instead of black stripes; it also appears to be slightly less sharply angled than the first game. He also wears dark brown bandages on his legs, although they are mostly concealed by his boots. He also, for some reason, has pale pink nails and a pink ruff on his neck.
NiGHTS into Dreams
According to the NiGHTS into Dreams Japanese website, Reala is responsible for capturing and imprisoning NiGHTS inside the Ideya Palaces, though that is never shown on screen.
In NiGHTS into Dreams, Reala is Stick Canyon's boss and an Elliot Nightmaren, who'll attack after all ideyas are collected in the level. His boss battle theme is called "NiGHTS and Reala". In this game, this battle is his only on-screen appearance.
Before the battle, a cutscene plays where it zooms into Reala sitting on his throne, he stands up, pointing at NiGHTS and says "Beadichinoa NiGHTS!" which means "Come on NiGHTS!" in a fictional language created for the game called Dream Language.
As the battle begins, the player must Paraloop Reala three times to defeat him; paralooping Reala will send crashing into his floating torches. As they try to do that, Reala will try to paraloop NiGHTS. Defeating Reala unlocks the two player option in the Sega Saturn version of NiGHTS into Dreams. This mode doesn't appear in any other version. After the battle, Reala isn't seen again.
Reala's battle takes place in a dark realm with squary ruins, three torches with blue fire and Reala's red throne at the center. In the sky, there is a red seal with Reala's face on it.
Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams
Reala appears as a tile in the memory-matching game available to be played after beating a level. If the player uncovers Reala's tile, the memory-matching game will end and the player won't get a present. Reala's render also appears in the game's concept art.
April Fools Easter Egg
Christmas NiGHTS has a special feature where Reala replaces NiGHTS as the playable character when playing the Spring Valley on April 1st. This also means that NiGHTS takes Reala's place on his boss battle. This easter egg became known as The Reala's Day. A rock remix of Reala's boss battle theme called "NiGHTS and Reala - Theme of a tragic revenge" plays during the battle against NiGHTS.
This feature reappears in the NiGHTS into Dreams HD remasters released for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC, as Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams comes along these versions. However, in these versions, Reala is only playable in the regular Spring Valley.
It should be noted that this feature is only available after beating the game (including clearing both Elliot and Claris version of Christmas Spring Valley) and it is not present in the Sega Saturn version of NiGHTS into Dreams.
See Also: Clock Features.
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
Reala returns and has much more presence in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, where he constantly goes after NiGHTS to lock them inside a NiGHTS Capture in both Will and Helen stories. In this game, Reala wears a Persona Mask given by Wizeman to represent loyalty to his master.
In Will's story, Reala first appears behind Will and Owl, shortly after Will entering Pure Valley. Reala orders the Nightmarens to capture and imprison NiGHTS inside a NiGHTS Capture and leaves. Before Reala returns, Will saves NiGHTS.
Reala returns in the Lost Park, where Will is walking alone with Owl, giving Reala a chance to capture him. Reala threatens Will's life to keep NiGHTS at bay, so he can imprison NiGHTS once again. NiGHTS pleads with Reala to let Will go, but Reala doesn't listen to NiGHTS and makes a black hole under Will, which drags him to Helen's dream, Crystal Castle instead. With Helen's help, Will returns to his dream world, saves NiGHTS and together, they defeat Chamelan. Wizeman grows frustrated with Reala and decides to let Cerberus, a vicious monster that eats all in their path, take care of NiGHTS, much to Reala's surprise.
Deciding to try and imprison NiGHTS himself, Reala appears before NiGHTS as they sit alone playing their flute in Delight City. When NiGHTS tries to brush him off, Reala admonishes them for being so "uncouth to a fellow Nightmaren" much to NiGHTS' disconfort and Will's shock. Reala warns NiGHTS of Wizeman's thinning patience and how he have no desire to face Wizeman's wrath in NiGHTS' stead, leading the the two to battle. With NiGHTS emerging as the winner, Reala fakes a serious injury to trick NiGHTS into letting their guard down, allowing them to be captured once more. Reala was actually wounded in the battle though, and leaves to recover. Reala isn't seen again in Will story.
In Helen's story, Reala arrives immediately at the Dream Gate after the door to Nightopia appears, and attacks NiGHTS by pinning them against the door to Aqua Garden. After few brief taunts towards Helen, Reala pushes NiGHTS into Nightopia and traps them inside a NiGHTS Capture, but Helen saves NiGHTS shortly after.
When Girania is defeated, Reala fearfully informs Wizeman of the news and attempts to assure his master as he sends Bomamba out, only to fail to capture NiGHTS. Furious, Wizeman orders Reala to deal with NiGHTS by himself. Obeying his master, Reala appears before Helen and NiGHTS when they enter Memory Forest, telling NiGHTS to "cut the act" and calling them "sibling" before grabbing them by the shoulder. He makes it appear as though NiGHTS had been helping to collect the Ideya and reveals them as a Nightmaren. NiGHTS is too ashamed by Helen's speechless reaction to act, as Reala taunts her, discreetly drawing a portal that sends her to Will's Dream, Delight City, and imprisoning NiGHTS again before leaving them in the care of Queen Bella. Reala isn't seen again in Helen story.
In the secret Ending, Reala appears at Bellbridge, where he grabs both Will and Helen by the neck after they save NiGHTS, who furiously calls Reala a coward and demands that he releases them. Reala responds by calling NiGHTS a puppet who can only use their power with the help of Visitors, to which NiGHTS angrily retorts that Reala is the one who is a puppet for Wizeman, angering him and causing him to drop Will and Helen. NiGHTS calls for another one-on-one fight to decide which one of them is the "mere puppet", ending with Reala's defeat and final appearance in the game. While he too would be erased from existence by Wizeman's death, NiGHTS is shown to have survived, and his final status is unknown.
In this game, Reala is one of the two bosses of Delight City and Bellbridge (the latter only in the secret ending). To defeat Reala, the player must grab a floating ball object and shoot at Reala before he can do the same to cause damage. Both the Delight City and the Bellbridge fight are the same, with the only exception being the amount of hits Reala must take to be defeated. In the Delight City fight, the player must hit Reala three times, in the Bellbridge one, five times. Also, in the Bellbridge fight, Reala will react more quickly and will stall in the air.
NiGHTS: Flying Through the Sky Without Wings
Reala makes an appearance in the Japan exclusive storybook, NiGHTS: Flying Through the Sky Without Wings.
Reala finds NiGHTS playing flute in Nightopia appears and challenges them for a game to see who flies higher and faster, which NiGHTS accepts. It's when NiGHTS is distracted that Reala imprisons them inside an Ideya Palace and leaves.
Later, Elliot releases NiGHTS by dualizing with them and both start fighting Nightmarens. Reala returns and reveals for Elliot that NiGHTS is a Nightmaren, which makes Elliot panic. Reala takes this opportunity to unfuse NiGHTS and Elliot, imprison NiGHTS once again and send Elliot to the top of a cold and dark cliff.
However, for Reala's surprise, Elliot finds courage inside himself to save NiGHTS and jumps into the darkness. His red ideya starts glowing really bright and Elliot starts flying by himself. Scared of the ideya's tremendous power, Reala flees and NiGHTS is released.
NiGHTS Archie Comics
Reala starred in the NiGHTS Archie Comics series, where he is the secondary antagonist of the first three issues and the main antagonist of the later three.
In the first Issue, NiGHTS and Reala had captured the two perfect dreamers and their red ideyas, which Wizeman would use to open a portal to the Waking World and rule it all. But for everyone's surprise, NiGHTS starts their rebellion and takes the red ideyas with them. Reala goes after NiGHTS and captures them, though for the Nightmarens' displeasement, NiGHTS was able to send the red ideyas to the Waking World in time. Wizeman would now have to wait for 100 years to get the next two perfect dreamers, these would be Elliot and Claris.
Despite capturing NiGHTS, Wizeman imprisons Reala inside an Ideya Palace as a punishment for not capturing NiGHTS before they had sent the red ideyas to the Waking World. At the end of the first issue, Wizeman sends Elliot's basketball rival, Roger Wilkeah, to dualize with Reala and release him from the ideya palace.
In the second Issue, Reala and Roger switch bodies. Reala goes to the Waking World through Roger's body to watch Claris while in Nightmare, Roger is in Reala's body and Wizeman makes them connected. Roger now gives Reala his dream energy to make him more powerful.
In the third Issue, Reala goes back to his body and fights NiGHTS with Wizeman's help. After defeating them, Reala goes after Elliot to get his red ideya. However, Elliot tricks Reala by giving him a basketball disguised as red ideya. Shortly after, NiGHTS, Elliot and Claris defeat and destroy Wizeman. With his master gone, Reala self proclaims the new ruler of Nightmare.
In the fourth Issue, NiGHTS mysteriously disappears and Reala takes this opportunity to torment Elliot and Claris with nightmares during their sleep. It is later revealed that NiGHTS went to the Waking World and is slowly fading away. Reala somehow finds that out off screen and orders Roger, who still is connected with him, to find NiGHTS and make sure they completely disappear.
In the fifth Issue, Reala is destroying Nightopia when he is attacked by Jackle, Puffy, Gillwing and Clawz, who don't want him to be the new ruler of Nightmare. However, Reala easily get ride of them by making them fall into an abyss. Meanwhile in the Waking World, Roger follows Reala's orders and captures NiGHTS then leaves them to fade away entirely in his house's basement, but Elliot, Claris, Napp and Snuze arrive at Roger's house, make him fall asleep and start taking NiGHTS to a portal located at the Twin Seeds tower, which will send NiGHTS back to Nightopia.
In the sixth Issue, Reala meets up with Roger in Nightmare, reveals to him that Elliot and Claris are taking NiGHTS to a portal to Nightopia and orders him to stop them. Following Reala's orders, Roger wakes up and goes after NiGHTS. When NiGHTS was about to reach the portal, a sudden explosion at the tower combines with the energy of the ruby on NiGHTS chest and makes a portal open, which Reala uses to come to the Waking World. NiGHTS and Reala start fighting, meanwhile Roger meets up with Elliot and Claris, who are watching the fight. At that moment they convince Roger to stop giving Reala his dream energy. Without Roger's dream energy, Reala starts getting weak and energy drained. NiGHTS takes this opportunity to escape from him and goes back to Nightopia. It's unknown what happened to Reala afterwards.
NiGHTS into Dreams (LCD)
Reala appears as a boss in the LCD adaptation of NiGHTS into Dreams. Defeating Reala adds 500 points to the game's score.
NiGHTS Dream Wheel
Reala makes a small appearance in the NiGHTS-themed slot machine, NiGHTS Dream Wheel, in the game's roulette.
Sega Superstars Tennis
Reala appears as an unlockable character in Sega Superstars Tennis, where he is an All Round type character, a trait shared with NiGHTS and Amy Rose. To unlock Reala, it is necessary clear the second mission in the world of NiGHTS into Dreams, in the Superstar Mode.
For his super move, Reala will make the ball travel in a corkscrew loop and if the opponents hit it back, they will spin.
Reala racket is purple with a yellow stripe and it has a waning moon on its net.
Reala's home stage is Aqua Garden.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Reala is an unlockable character in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, where he can be bought with 160 stars in World Tour (90 stars on the 3DS' case). Reala himself turns into the car, boat and plane and a Goodle drives him.
When Reala goes all star, he shapeshifts back into his normal form and starts shooting fireballs at the racers while a remix of D' Force Masters plays in the background.
Reala appears in Worlds Unite, where him and NiGHTS join Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man's Unified Army to stop Sigma's conquest of the Multiverse.
He was fighting against NiGHTS at the Dream Gate, when Sigma sends Storm Eagle and Storm Owl to attack their worlds. NiGHTS and Reala decide to join force for once, only to defeat the new never seen before enemies, when Miles "Tails" Prower and Air Man arrive to help.
After defeating the Mavericks, Tails and Air Man ask if NiGHTS and Reala would like to join the battle against Sigma. At first, Reala didn't want to join them, however, Wizeman orders him to, as Wizeman does not want Sigma to challenge his conquest for Nightopia.
- Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Reala made a cameo as a card in the NiGHTS thematic pinball table from Casinopolis.
- Sonic Pinball Party: Reala appears as the boss of the Stick Canyon's pinball table. To defeat him, the player must make the ball paraloop him enough times under 180 seconds
- Sonic Lost World: Reala makes a cameo in Sonic Lost World in the Nightmare Zone DLC, where he opens portals which send Sonic to Nightmare. At the end of the zone, he is paralooped by NiGHTS.
- Sonic Runners: Reala appeared as an unlockable buddy for a limited time. He gives the player a magnet effect after a loop for a limited time.
- Game Gag 1P Sega-hen: Reala is one of the many NiGHTS characters make small appearances in the manga. He also appears hidden behind the crowd in the manga's cover.
Reala both hates and pities NiGHTS for his betrayal to Wizeman and the likely punishment that awaits. Often in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Reala will attempt to talk NiGHTS into rejoining Wizeman before imprisoning them and has no qualms about manipulating NiGHTS or the Visitors to do so. Their relationship prior to the betrayal is unknown but is made quite evident that they were partners in crime under Wizeman’s rule, and perhaps even close before NiGHTS left. As they are both the only First-level Nightmaren, they share similar abilities; making any clashes between them a close match.
Wizeman the Wicked
As Wizeman's loyal number one henchman, Reala both respects and greatly fears his Master. He desires nothing more than pleasing Wizeman and helping make his plans reality, one scene that perfectly shows how Reala is very loyal to his master is when Wizeman decides to release the Cerberus to stop NiGHTS in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, the Cerberus is said to be very vicious and chaotic and Reala even appeared to fear the nightmaren despite belonging to a higher level than them, however, Reala overcame his fear and promised to take control of the Cerberus just to please his master, even though Reala is very loyal to Wizeman, the latter does not show any gratitude for Reala's loyalty in return and Reala himself is shown to fear his master’s wrath.
Reala either ignores Visitors or uses their emotions to aid in the capture of NiGHTS, manipulating them or otherwise incapacitating them to get them out of the way. He usually speaks to them in a patronizing or condescending tone.
Reala and Roger's relationship in the Archie Comics is odd, as Reala appeared to be just using Roger as a tool and never appeared to care about him. Despite that, when Reala was betrayed by Roger in the sixth Issue, he said "No... After everything I did for him". This hints that Reala may have cared about Roger or appreciated his loyalty despite never showing it. As for Roger, he appeared to see Reala as a friend despite fearing him, that was until the sixth issue, where Roger betrayed Reala because he was convinced that Reala would go after him once he was done with NiGHTS.
Reala seems to not take Owl serious at all, he interacted with Owl once calling the bird an "old-timer" telling a said character to stay out of this before he threatened Will in Lost Park. Owl also interacted with hi as well telling him not to harm the visitor, but to no avail.
Descriptions and Profiles
Japanese bio (NiGHTS into Dreams)
"One of two first level Maren that were created to be Wizemans right hand men. He has an absolute loyalty to Wizeman though he is a cruel and brutal character. He has a flight ability almost equal to NiGHTS, and he can paraloop too. Reala has many problems with NiGHTS because of their equal ability and opposing character. Therefore, they consider each other to be rivals. And, it was Reala's doing that NiGHTS was confined."
English bio (NiGHTS into Dreams)
"Reala is one of Wizeman's closest henchmen. Like NiGHTS, he is a tremendous flyer. However, he has a cruel and brutal personality and is NiGHTS' number one rival."
English bio (Journey of Dreams)
"Reala is one of the First-Level Nightmarens created by Wizeman. Unlike NiGHTS — who is free, graceful and cheerful — Reala is obedient towards Wizeman the creator, as well as dirty, cruel and insidious. As a symbol of loyalty, Reala wears a Persona mask given to him by Wizeman. Reala acts as the leader of the whole Nightmaren force".
- In NiGHTS into Dreams, Reala says "Beadichinoa NiGHTS!" before his battle, which means "Come on NiGHTS!" in a fictional language made up for the game called Dream Language. This pre-battle dialogue is often misunderstood by new players, who think Reala says "There is no NiGHTS!".
- Claris is, at least in the game's canon, the only visitor who never met Reala.
- In the NiGHTS Storybook, Elliot fights against Reala and defeats him without NiGHTS's help. This makes Elliot the only character other than NiGHTS to ever fight back against Reala and to defeat him without NiGHTS's help.
- In an deleted cutscene in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Reala would challenge NiGHTS and Helen for a race in Memory Forest, and if NiGHTS and Helen lost, Reala would destroy Helen's soul.
- In the SEGA Saturn version of NiGHTS into Dreams, there is a glitch where it is possible to attack Reala with the Drill Dash during his pre-battle cutscene.
- Both Shadow the Hedgehog from the Sonic the Hedgehog series and Jeanne from the Bayonetta series are similar to Reala, as they are all black and red rivals of their games respective protagonists. It should be noted that Reala was created before both and that all of the series are Sega properties.
- Shadow from the Space Channel 5 series (another Sega property) is also similar to Reala, as both are black and red, are the right hand of their game's respective villains and they do most of their bosses dirty work.
- Reala was the only NiGHTS into Dreams character who was designed by both Naoto Ohshima and Kazuyuki Hoshino.
- Naoto had designed Reala with a purple hat and yellow earrings, while Kazuyuki designed him with the red and black jester-like hat and yellow claws. They eventually decided to use the hat, claws and feet from Kazuyuki's design and eyes, mouth, arms and torso from Naoto's design to create Reala's final design in the game.
- When playing the party game Sonic Shuffle for the Dreamcast on December 24th, NiGHTS will appear and replace Lumina as the game's guide. Some people say that when playing the game on April 1st, Reala will appear and replace Lumina. However, this rumor is confirmed to be fake.
- In the NiGHTS Archie Comics, Reala's eyes are lime green, contradicting with the games, where they are icy blue.
- In NiGHTS into Dreams, it is possible to see Reala T-posing in the first frame of his pre-battle cutscene.
- Frozen Bell's main theme has some notes that sound similar to Reala's boss battle theme.
- Reala is one of the two NiGHTS characters to have a statue made by First4Figures, the other being NiGHTS.
- Due to a perceived lack of interest, the statue nearly got scrapped. First4Figures made a poll on their facebook page to see if they should scrap it or not. The statue was eventually saved after receiving enough support from the NiGHTS community.
- Reala's name may be based on the words "reality" and/or "real", which is considered the opposite of what is dreamed or imagined.
- In crossover games, Reala's boss battle theme is commonly used when Nightmare is refereed.
- In Journey of Dreams, Reala is voiced by Casey Robertson, who is also known for playing the voice of Caliburn from Sonic and the Black Knight and Joe Musashi from the Shinobi series.
- There's a scrapped nameplate found in the NiGHTS into Dreams game files entitled "Reala Returns", which is similar to the bosses nameplates that appear on the save select. It's speculated that it's supposed to belong to an unused second boss battle with Reala.
- In the NiGHTS into Dreams game files, Reala is nicknamed "#M4:THE-REALA".
- Reala is one of the nine NiGHTS characters who has appeared in every NiGHTS game, the others are NiGHTS, Wizeman, Nightopians, Elliot, Claris, Mepians, the King Pian and Shleeps.
- EXCLUSIVE: A Yuji Naka Interview ~ For the fans
- NiGHTS into Dreams Glitches - 12 Days of Glitchmas - Day 9
- An interview with character designer Kazuyuki Hoshino