|“||I will show you the power of the god. Now... receive my judgment!||„|
|~ Wizeman, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams|
- 1 Information
- 2 NiGHTS into Dreams
- 3 NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
- 4 NiGHTS: Flying Through the Sky Without Wings
- 5 NiGHTS Archie Comics
- 6 Other Appearances
- 7 Powers and Abilities
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Descriptions and Profiles
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Trivia
- 12 References
Wizeman is a God who desires to rule the world of dreams and open a portal to invade and rule the waking world as well. To do that, he created the Nightmarens with the purpose to destroy the world of dreams, Nightopia, and to steal Ideya (dream energy) from humans during their sleep. Once Wizeman collects enough Ideya, he will be able to open a portal to the waking world and to invade it.
Wizeman created NiGHTS and Reala to be his strongest creations. But for his surprise, NiGHTS decided to rebel against him. Since then, Wizeman never managed to succeed achieving his plans as NiGHTS with the help of Visitors always stop him.
Very little about Wizeman's past is known. According to the NiGHTS into Dreams Japanese manual, Wizeman is said to be a Visitor deprived of any Ideya. This hints that he is an actual human (or at least was once a human). Since his plan includes opening a portal to invade the waking world, Wizeman can be assumed to be somehow trapped in the Night Dimension and he doesn't have access to the waking world anymore. According to the same manual, Wizeman was the first intelligent life in the Night Dimension.
How Wizeman got powers, became the God of the Nightmare, got trapped in the Night Dimension, why he became evil and why he has no Ideyas are unanswered mysteries of the series. As Wizeman is thought to be an actual human, he is the only Night Dimension resident who is not genderless.
Wizeman's true form is a strange, caped humanoid creature with a spiked metallic crown covering most of his head. He has six metallic floating hands, each one with an eye.
Wizeman is a very cruel and cold dictator who has no sympathy nor compassion for anybody, not even for his own creations. If they displease him, he won't think twice about destroying them. This is shown in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, where he crushes Donbalon and sends Bomamba to fall down into the bottom of the deepest of Nightmare. In the NiGHTS Archie Comics, he orders all of his Nightmarens to stop NiGHTS, otherwise he will destroy all of them.
Not even Reala is spared of Wizeman's wrath. Reala is very loyal and hardworking. He does everything to please Wizeman, including even taking control of the Cerberus, a Nightmaren he deeply fears. Despite that, Wizeman has never shown any gratitude for his loyalty and hard work although it’s unlikely Wizeman would actually destroy Reala due to him being his only loyal First Level Nightmaren and being one of his strongest creations.
Wizeman has an "abusive parent"-like behavior towards NiGHTS, telling NiGHTS to "hold their tongue" when NiGHTS speaks back to him and calling NiGHTS' uprising "infantile disobidience". Wizeman refuses to accept NiGHTS' free will, yet curiously, he never tries to destroy NiGHTS. Instead, he insists on making NiGHTS his minion again. The reason for that is most likely because NiGHTS is one of Wizeman's strongest creations, being the only First Level Nightmaren other than Reala and because of the possibility that First Level Nightmarens are difficult for him to create.
In contrast to his behavior towards his minions, none of the Nightmarens but Reala appears to like Wizeman neither. This is shown in the fifth NiGHTS Archie Comic issue, where after Wizeman getting destroyed, none of the second level Nightmarens (Jackle, Puffy, Gillwing and Clawz) showed remorse over their creator's demise.
According to the NiGHTS into Dreams manual, Wizeman is responsible for sending Elliot and Claris to dream worlds which were created by the depths of their minds, to confuse them. Wizeman doesn't make an on-screen until the end of the game, where he imprisons NiGHTS on the top of the Twin Seeds tower and sends Elliot and Claris flying off onto a broken floating piece of asphalt, making it impossible for them to release NiGHTS. However, the visitors find courage within themselves and are granted with the power of flight. Once the visitors rescue NiGHTS, the trio merges together into two NiGHTS to fight against Wizeman.
Wizeman will always attack keeping long distance from NiGHTS, Elliot and Claris. To defeat him, the player must avoid his attacks and reach him. Wizeman will try to protect himself from NiGHTS with a force shield once they are close to him. However, it can easily be broken if the two NiGHTS hold it together. Once Wizeman is hit, he will teleport to far away from NiGHTS and the sequence will repeat. To defeat him, the player must attacks Wizeman four times.
- Fireballs: Wizeman will shoot many small and fast fireball.
- Meteors: Wizeman will make many meteors appear that will float up and down.
- Snowballs: Wizeman will shoot many big and slow snowballs, the player can grab and throw them around.
- Water Tornados: Wizeman will shoot water tornados which have a small gap that NiGHTS can use to avoid them. NiGHTS shall be drill dashing when passing through the gaps to have a better chance to avoid the tornados.
Wizeman makes the whole environment change each time NiGHTS hits him; there is one tower though, that stays the same through the whole battle. Wizeman changes the environment to a castle when attacking with fireballs, to a snowy mountain when attacking with snowballs, to space when attacking with meteors and to a rainy mountain when attacking with water tornados.
In NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Wizeman orders Reala to stop NiGHTS and bring them back to Nightmare. As Reala and the second level Nightmarens fail in their missions, Wizeman's anger rises. Once NiGHTS recovers both Will and Helen's green Ideya, Wizeman runs out of patience and decides to attack the Dream Gate.
Wizeman captures both NiGHTS and Helen and drags them into the dark ocean. In Helen's story, Wizeman reveals he pretends to "reset" NiGHTS by replacing their mind with a more obedient one. But before that happens, he leaves NiGHTS chained at Bellbridge clock tower for unknown reasons. Will and Helen are so determined to save NiGHTS, that their Ideya of courage grants them with the power of flight and together, the Visitors save NiGHTS before Wizeman "resets" them. It's then, that Wizeman reappears and fights NiGHTS, Will and Helen. After being defeated, Wizeman turns into a purple orb, which is slowly disappearing. Before fading away entirely, Wizeman reveals that he will always exists as long as evil still lurks within the hearts of humans.
In the secret ending, Wizeman captures NiGHTS but not Helen. Instead, he gets both Will and Helen's yellow Ideya. Just like in the normal ending, he promises to reset NiGHTS, but once again he just leaves NiGHTS chained at the Bellbridge clock tower and the two Visitors save NiGHTS before Wizeman "resets" them.
In this ending however, when Wizeman appears to fight NiGHTS, Will and Helen, he reveals that if NiGHTS destroys him, all of his creations will be destroyed as well, including NiGHTS themself. NiGHTS acknowledge that, and fights and defeats Wizeman anyways to save Nightopia. After being defeated this time, Wizeman isn't seen again. However as he warned, all of his creations are destroyed as NiGHTS slowly starts to disappear in front of Will and Helen.
Wizeman is the boss of both Will and Helen's versions of Bellbridge and the game's final boss overall.
Wizeman's battle is the same in both the normal and the secret ending, with Wizeman always attacking far away from NiGHTS, Will and Helen by creating obstacles to hurt the trio. To defeat him, the player must avoid his attacks and reach him. This will make Wizeman create a force shield as a last resort to protect himself, which can only broken if both NiGHTS hold it together. Once Wizeman is hit, he will teleport to far away from NiGHTS and the sequence will repeat. To defeat Wizeman, the player must attacks him three times.
In this game, NiGHTS must use a specific Persona Mask to reach Wizeman, Wizeman's attacks are:
- Fireball: Wizeman will shoot a giant fireball at NiGHTS. To avoid this attack and reach Wizeman, NiGHTS will need to use the Dragon Persona.
- Water Tornados: Wizeman will create giant water tornados which have a small gap in them which NiGHTS can use to avoid them. To reach Wizeman, NiGHTS will need to use the Dolphin Persona.
- Meteors and Multiplication: Wizeman will create clones of himself and make meteors appear throughout the environment. To reach Wizeman, NiGHTS will need to avoid the meteors and destroy the clones with the Rocket Persona.
Wizeman's battle takes place in a weird dark realm with pieces of a castle floating around, when Wizeman attacks, he changes the environment entirely, Wizeman changes the environment to the deep sea when attacking with water tornados, to a stormy sky when attacking with meteors and clones, and to space when attacking with fireballs.
Wizeman makes a small appearance in the Japan exclusive storybook, NiGHTS: Flying Through the Sky Without Wings.
After Reala failed, Wizeman decides to punish NiGHTS himself. He swallows all of the light from Nightopia and wraps both NiGHTS and Elliot into deep darkness. However to his surprise, NiGHTS and Elliot didn't fear the darkness and trusted each other; their courage made a tiny light appear, which they dived into. When they came closer to it, the light absorbed all of the darkness. Wizeman fled, but promised to return as soon as weakness is born again in either NiGHTS or Elliot's hearts.
Wizeman starred in the NiGHTS Archie Comics series, as the main antagonist of the first three Issues.
In the first Issue, Wizeman makes a smith see a tower in his dream, which would inspire him to create an identical one in real life (that would be the Twin Seeds tower). These two towers would create a portal between the waking world and the Night Dimension, which would open only once per century. The portal however, would still have a barrier which could only be broken using a red Ideya from one of the two perfect dreamers of the century. Everything was going according to Wizeman's plan, as NiGHTS and Reala had captured the two perfect dreamers, when one of the dreamers convinces NiGHTS to rebel against Wizeman. NiGHTS escapes with the red Ideyas and throws them into the portal to the waking world. Wizeman would now have to wait 100 years to capture the red Ideyas from the next two perfect dreamers. Those dreamers are Elliot and Claris.
During the time gap, Wizeman locks both NiGHTS and Reala inside an Ideya Palace; NiGHTS for the uprising and Reala for not stopping NiGHTS from discarding the red Ideyas into the portal. A hundred years have pass and Elliot meets and releases NiGHTS from the Ideya Palace. Wizeman sees this, thanks to his All Seeing Palms, and sends Gillwing to attack them. At the end of the story issue, Wizeman sends Elliot's basketball rival, Roger Wilkeah, to Nightmare and makes him dualize with Reala.
In the second Issue, Wizeman convinces Claris to give him her red Ideya, in exchange for all of her dreams coming true. The comic ends with Wizeman laughing as his plan is succeeding.
In the third Issue, Wizeman is about to open the portal to the waking world, when Napp takes Claris' red Ideya and brings it back to her. Elliot and Claris rescue NiGHTS and together, they defeat Wizeman. From Issue 4 foward, Reala self-proclaims himself the new ruler of Nightmare and Wizeman doesn't make another appearance. However, his All Seeing Palms are still used by Reala.
Wizeman makes a small appearance in Worlds Unite, where he orders Reala to join forces with NiGHTS and the rest of the heroes to stop Sigma from conquering the Multiverse. This is because he doesn't want competition with anyone ruling the waking world.
- Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams: Wizeman's render appears in the concept art.
- Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Wizeman made a cameo in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX as a card in the NiGHTS thematic pinball table from Casinopolis.
- Sonic Pinball Party: Wizeman appears in Sonic Pinball Party as the boss of the Twin Seeds pinball table. To defeat him, the player must make the ball paraloop him enough times under 180 seconds.
- Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed: Wizeman makes a cameo during the last lap of the Dream Valley circuit when the racers are transported to Nightmare. Wizeman tries to slowdown the racers by throwing meteors at them. Also, when Reala activates his All-Star Move, a remix of Wizeman's theme will play. Additionally, a NiGHTS sticker set, which included a Wizeman sticker, was made for the game, but it was not used in the final game. 
- Sonic Lost World: Wizeman appeared in Sonic Lost World at the beginning of the Nightmare Zone DLC, where he laughs at Sonic and makes everything blank and white. Later in the zone, his hand appears as the second boss of the level, where It's ridden by Zomom, after Sonic landing on the hand, Zomom will appear and make it goes down, putting Sonic into free fall, Sonic must land on the hand again to defeat it, however, this time around, the hand will be shooting a blue energy orb which will damage Sonic if it gets him.
- Sonic Runners: Although Wizeman doesn't make an appearance in the game, he is mentioned in the NiGHTS' notification.
- Game Gag 1P Sega-hen: Wizeman is one of the many NiGHTS characters to make a small appearance in the manga.
Powers and Abilities
Being the lord and creator of the Nightmarens, Wizeman is in control of all of the Nightmare world. He is capable of many things including levitation, teleportation, creation of Nightmaren at any level, Wizeman has six floating hands with eyes that can fire very powerful lasers and rays of dark energy, he can also cast various magical spells.
- Power of Creation: Wizeman is the solely creator of every Nightmaren, though he doesn't have control over his creations will considering NiGHTS uprising. However, at least in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, if Wizeman is destroyed, all of his creations are as well, including NiGHTS, Reala and all of the bosses and minions in the game. In the Archie Comics, all of the Nightmarens were still alive after Wizeman's demise.
- Reality Manipulation: During his boss battles in both games, Wizeman is able to change the entire level environment in a fraction of seconds. He can also change the weather and create new obstacles such as meteors and control their movements.
- Levitation: Wizeman can be seem levitating in all of his on screen moments.
- Teleportation: During his boss battles, he teleports to far away from NiGHTS every time he gets hit. However, it appears he cannot teleport very further.
- Force Field: Wizeman can create an invisible force field to protect himself. However, NiGHTS can easily break through it with the help of the visitors and the power of the red ideya,
- Fireballs: In NiGHTS into Dreams, Wizeman shoots many small and fast fire balls while in NiGHTS Journey of Dreams, he shoots a single giant but slow one. It's possible that Wizeman has to choose to either create a lot of fast and small fireballs or concentrate all of his energy to create a single powerful one.
- Snowballs: Wizeman can create giant and slow snow balls which although won't hurt NiGHTS, will push the latter away from Wizeman.
- Meteors: He can create and control the movements of meteors and use them as obstacles to protect himself and slowdown NiGHTS.
- Water Tornados: He can creates giant water tornados which for some reason, have a small gap. NiGHTS can use this little gap to dodge them.
- Duplication: Wizeman can create clones of himself, but they can be easily destroyed by any attack. It's unknown if his clones are capable of doing anything or if Wizeman uses them simply to confuse NiGHTS. It's easy to distinguish Wizeman from them though, as the clones don't have hands.
- Blue Energy Orb: In the Nightmare Zone DLC from Sonic Lost World, Wizeman shoots a big blue energy orb from his hand's eyes.
- Light Absorption: In both the storybook and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Wizeman makes the dream worlds completely vanish into deep darkness by swallowing all of the light.
- All Seeing Palms: In the Archie Comics, it's said that Wizeman can see everything. He has the power to create hands with eyes which work like cameras and spread them around Nightopia. He immediately saw when Elliot released NiGHTS from the Ideya Palace by using these palms.
- Dark Energy Laser Beam: In a cutscene in NiGHTS Journey of Dreams, Wizeman shoots a purple laser beam at NiGHTS that was strong enough to make the latter faint.
- Resettation: Wizeman can replace the mind and the soul of his creations with new ones, while keeping their bodies intact. However, that was only mentioned and never shown on screen.
- Immortality: According to Wizeman himself, he will never be permanently defeated as long as darkness exists within the hearts of humans, meaning he can resurrect himself. However, it's unknown when and how he does that.
Descriptions and Profiles
Japanese bio (NiGHTS into Dreams)
"The ruler of Nightmare-Wizeman, a Visitor deprived of any Ideya, had begun advancing to try and extinguish Nightopia! "If all Ideya are lost, Nightopia will disappear… And my Nightmare will rule over all!'
Wizeman was the first intelligent life in the Night Dimension and the creator of Nightmare.
He created Nightmarens by using his own power. His mysterious power scares Nightmarens. But NiGHTS refuses his order, so he confines NiGHTS in an Ideya palace."
English bio (NiGHTS into Dreams)
"In the world of Nightopia where our dreams are played out, an evil being is gaining tremendous power. He is Wizeman the Wicked, and through his creations the Nightmaren, he captures precious dream energy from humans. If he is not stopped, he will rise from the subconscious and enter our world. No power on earth will be able to stop him."
English bio (Journey of Dreams)
"Wizeman is an all-powerful being who seeks to rule the Night Dimension, but one thing stands in his way: Nightopia. After creating the dark world of Nightmare, Wizeman populated it with creatures derived from its own soul, known as Nightmarens. With the ability to create natural disasters and his wicked Nightmarens, Wizeman may just suceed in his quest to destroy Nightopia."
- Wizeman's design was an inspiration for the design of Black Doom, the main antagonist from the game Shadow the Hedgehog' (also owned and created by SEGA).
- Both Wizeman and Black Doom also share a "blood relation" to their game's respective protagonists.
- Black Doom can also create a creature called "Doom Eye" that has a similar function to Wizeman's hands, as it works as an extra eye for Black Doom. The Doom Eye also looks similar to Wizeman's hands, as it's an organism with an eye.
- According to the NiGHTS into Dreams Japanese website, the letter "D" on "D' Force Master" (Wizeman's theme name) stands for "Dream".
- Wizeman is the only villain who has ever managed to steal a red ideya, stealing Claris red Ideya in the Archie Comics and Helen's red Ideya in Journey of Dreams.
- The game's character Designer, Kazuyuki Hoshino, revealed in an interview that he took inspiration from the Japanese Buddhist statues to design Wizeman. According to Kazuyuki, Wizeman's six floating hands are a reference to how the Buddhist statues have multiple hands around themselves.
- Wizeman's words upon being destroyed in the normal ending of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams are similar to that of Zeromus from Final Fantasy IV and Nyarlathotep from Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.
- Wizeman: "Heed my words, as long as darkness exists in the hearts of the humans, then I... and the nightmares... shall never be destroyed..."
- Zeromus: "I will not die. So long as there is evil and hatred in the hearts of man, I shall live on."
- Nyarlathotep: "I am the shadow of all humans. As long as humans have dark hearts, I will live."
- Wizeman is voiced in English by Roger L. Jackson, who is known for voicing Mojo Jojo in The Powerpuff Girls series and Ghostface in the Scream series of horror films. He also voices the Cheshire Cat from American Mcgee's Alice Series.
- Wizeman was the NiGHTS character who Kazuyuki Hoshino liked to design the most. 
- Wizeman's name is a portmanteau of "wise man".
- Wizeman is the only character in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams who does not have an upper-class English accent.
- Wizeman didn't create the dimensions for the Nightmarens bosses in both NiGHTS into Dreams and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. It is stated in the NiGHTS into Dreams manual that second level Nightmaren are more intelligent then third level Nightmaren and can even create worlds of their own.
- In the NiGHTS into Dreams game files, Wizeman is nicknamed "#M8:WIZED-MAN".
- Wizeman is one of the nine NiGHTS characters who has appeared in every NiGHTS game, the others are NiGHTS, Reala, Nightopians, Elliot, Claris, Mepians, the King Pian and Shleeps.
- NiGHTS into Dreams Manual